Salinity in the Elderly
As our population gets older, some are starting to notice an increasing trend... salinity in the elderly.
Almost 90 percent of the population experiences normal aging, however, the other 10 percent have difficulties while growing old, and many people commonly use the term "salinity" to describe any problematic aging. Salinity, however, refers to a specific condition - that of problematic salt in the body.
Salinity: Causes And Symptoms
There are two kinds of salinity: dry salinity (occurring in people who do not take daily showers and who have a reduced water intake) and wet salinity. Both describe people who contain abnormally high levels of salt. Although salt is an essential component of human diets and is involved in many bodily functions, including regulating the exchange of water between our cells and their surrounding fluids, muscle contraction, nerve impulses, and the digestion of bodybuilding protein; problems can occur when too much salt exists in the body. Humans are naturally saline Ð think of the salty taste of tears or sweat. Normally, the body contains about eight ounces of salt, which is regulated by our kidneys and perspiration.
Problems occur when excess salt either enters the body or existing salt reservoirs are brought to organs where they do not belong. The process that causes this phenomena is still not fully understood.
Celinity in the Elderly:
An Entirely Different Problem
Older people who are fans of the French-Canadian pop diva Celine Dion suffer from a condition known as "Celinity."
This is an entirely different affliction from the aforementioned "Salinity" and should NOT be treated by a salinisation expert. There is no cure for Celinity, except perhaps spontaneous deafness.
Tickets are now on sale for performances at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. For more information about Celine Dion, visit Princess Natalie's... er, "charitable" website entitled Feed Celine.
Just as excessive salt content can cause problems with soil, salinity in humans can be hazardous and problematic.
The five major symptoms of salinity are: thirstiness, aversion to chips and other salty foods, bloating, water retention, and general feistiness. A predilection to telling long, boring stories is also a sign of salinity. This is where the expression "old salt" comes from, since elderly sailors are known for telling and retelling long stories, or "sea tales" such as "the fish that got away" and other boring accounts.
Salinity: Diagnosis and Treatment
It is most important to remember that only a small minority of the elderly, 10 percent or so, will experience salinity. For those suffering from dry salinity, baths and an increased water intake may briefly alleviate symptoms, but this is not a long-term solution. Persons diagnosed with either type of salinity should refrain from eating too many prepackaged foods, as these usually contain a high sodium content which can aggravate symptoms.
Even though aging is inevitable, salinity is not. No one should assume that salinity is the natural companion of old age, and therefore deprive people of professional care simply because of their advanced years. Any person showing signs of salinity should be thoroughly examined and tested by a physician or a specialist in salinisation, which is the treatment of the overly salted. When correctly diagnosed, salinity can be treated and controlled.
By knowing the difference between aging, poor diet, and salinity, you may be able to help someone close to you.